University Life in Japan vs. University Life in Canada [Interview with Saki]

The following is an interview with a Japanese student named Saki, who spent a year studying at the University of Alberta. She lives in Tokyo, Japan and attends Sophia University.


S: Saki (interviewee)
K: Karyn (interviewer) 


K: Describe university life in Japan (community, recreation, free time, studying, classes, professors, resources available to students)
S: I used to take 10-12 classes in a term when I was in my 1st and 2nd year of the university, but now I'm in my 4th year and I take 3 classes this term. They are all related to my minor (international studies). In my 1st and 2nd year, I joined a volunteer club in which we teach English to the junior-high students. Now I don't join any clubs. Many of my close friends are the old classmates from 1st and 2nd year.

I worked at a Japanese pub in my 1st and 2nd year as a part-time job (3 or 4 times a week), and now I work at a human resources company (4-6 days a month). I live in an apartment which is about 30 minutes, by train, from the university. The rent is pretty expensive since it's in Tokyo and has a good security system. On weekends I usually do housework or go out for shopping or movies with my friends. If there are some exams coming, I go to study at the university library, which is large and quiet.

K: What are some things you did not like about university in Japan?
S: As for the classes, what is different from those in Canadian universities is 'communication and discussion' during the class. In most classes in Japan, the professor keeps on talking and the students just stay there and listen to the lecture. Usually there is no one who asks questions or starts discussion during the class. I didn't really like this kind of quiet classes.

Also, even though I'm pretty much free from the classes now, job-hunting (shukatsu) is a hard work. Many students who are looking for a job are almost forced to miss the class in order to attend the job seminars, interviews and things like that, which is so stressful.

As for the university itself, I wish it had a gym with training room like the one at the U of A. Since Sophia has such a limited space, it cannot afford large facilities. Also I thing Sophia doesn't have enough number of computers on campus, and the Wi-Fi is too weak. Inconvenient!

K: Describe university life in Canada. How was it different or the same? What things (that were different or the same) surprised you?
S: At the U of A I took 6 classes, mainly POLS and ECON. I also took a drama class which focused on oral communications. I lived in a HUB 4-bedroom unit. I didn't really like this because my roommates are usually very noisy at night and they leave all the plates and kitchen tools on the counter. No space to cook... lol
However it was a good experience for me to live with the people from other cultures.
What surprised me the most was that there were a lot of Japanese food, and lot of people who were interested in Japan or its culture. It was nice to see Japan from outside of the country.

K: What was some culture shock you experienced?
S: I was surprised to see people not hesitating to talk to strangers. We don't usually do so in Japan because people would think I'm suspicious lol. I think it's one of the good things about Canadian (or western?) culture to be friendly toward anyone. And I liked the phrase 'have a good day!' since Japanese conversation doesn't usually have same kind of expression which wishes someone a good day.

K: What are some things you liked about university life in Canada? Some things you didn’t like?
S: I liked the campus. It's much larger than my university in Japan, and has many restaurants, cafes, libraries, dorms, gym... which were all nice and convenient.
Also I was impressed by free flu vaccination. In Japan it costs about $25-35.

As for Canada itself, I enjoyed its location since I could go traveling to the US from Vancouver by bus. It felt weird going to other country without taking an airplane lol. I didn't like the people who leave their trash everywhere... I was shocked when I saw juice cups left on the shelves at a supermarket lol. Also Edmonton didn't have many places to go on weekends, and the weather was crazy cold which made me kind of depressed in winter.

K: What advice would you share with Japanese people going to go to university in Canada?
S: I want them to try everything they want to do! There are many things we can't do in Japan. Also, there are so many people from variety of cultures and I think talking to different people helps them to expand their world.

K: What advice would you give to Canadians looking to study in Japan?
S: Hmm... I guess there will be many strange things in Japan for them, but I'd like them to enjoy the differences. And Japanese people might seem unfriendly, but most of the time they are just being shy or scared because they are not good at speaking english lol.

No comments: